Post-Portland Post

6/09/2013 12:00:00 AM

(Okay so I decided to post my "travel review" anyway. Copied from my other blog))

Post-Portland Post: Or more like my travel review & culture-shock post. Some locals may not like it. Eek 

First of all, it was fun. It was really interesting—but it was the experience more so than the actual city. To be honest, I kept trying to remain unbiased about Portland before heading there. I wanted to be open about it, but in reality I think I was sort of expecting it to be very awesome, very urban, very green, very rainy, very cold and veryyy "hipster." Well, when I was there only a few of those things seemed accurate (the rain wasn’t one of them, phew!). 

It was cold and hip. There were little shops here and there with its fair share of “alt” looking folks, but it was less… well, culturally rich, than I had hoped for. In my view, it can hardly be considered a melting pot. Sure, the alternative hairstyles, fashion and boutiques were far from the mainstream and more closely resembled hip ass blogs/homelessness, but then again it was so prevalent that it seemed a bit overdone, un-unique and forced. It made me remember that Portlandia IS of course, poking fun at the antics & eccentricities of Portland. Okay, that might be little harsh, but y’know this is actually what I had to realize by the 2nd-3rd day, even as I kept trying to tell myself how cool being in that city was. 

But I will give Portland some credit: The greenery that I did see, even in this cold winter weather, was still quite magnificent. And apparently winter there actually sucks and is boring—a few separate bartenders told us as much. So summer may do the place more justice. We also spent most of our time south of the Columbia River, in downtown Portland, yet apparently the cool spots are in the north? 

I will say, I loved almost everyplace Clarence and I went to north of the river, save the hip ass bar we visited in the Industrial District that reminded me of high school scene shows, the only difference being a new style of hair & clothing + gimic-y music + alcohol and minus the ethnic minorities. I could feel the judging. White Owl Social Club it was called (I have a twisted belief that I would have enjoyed it more if my complexion & features were.. um, Anglo?) Anyway. As for its lack of ethnically integrated groups, I may just not have the bigger picture. Our hilarious white, Texas-native guide on our Shanghai Tunnels tour was so gracious to give us the straight-up history (and currents) of racism and segregation in Portland = it’s the 2nd (EDIT: I JUST READ THAT MAYBE IT’S ACTUALLY #1. Sad) largest white metropolitan city in the U.S. and racism was pretty bad, so they’ve come a long way, yet still have more to go. Okay, I can understand that. I guess.
But that’s just how it is. I had to realize, well shit, I am coming from a completely different part of America. I’m coming from California, and not just that, but Southern California. And not just that, but San Diego, California right above Mexico & home of the large ass military base in which a lot of minorities serve. So, duh

As disappointing as some of the things I noticed in Portland may be, I’m really glad I was able to see & experience it. There was homelessness all around, evident gentrification and I found the older generation to be more kind than the young, but I only stayed there 5 days and maybe I just don’t know shit. But I do know I’m not about to give up on it yet. We’re definitely going to see Portland one spring or summer and will bask in all its natural glory. Let’s just hope diversity would have increased by then. 

Anyway, every restaurant we went to, even at random, had mighty fucking delicious food. That’s reason enough for a second chance, am I right?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts