Halloweenie

10/31/2015 10:25:00 PM

Hello folks! I just wanted to showcase some Halloween related treats and of course, the DIY Rey costume I mentioned earlier! However, it will not be much of a tutorial. Although I had so much free time to work on the outfit and take photos of the process, I really lagged right until the week of Halloween. Basically, I procrastinated & rushed the heck out of it! I only made the belt, tabard & headwrap -_- Anyway, I bought most of the material at the discount fabric store, while the belt and other accessories were made by recycling old bags and buckles.

This Halloween, I actually had two costumes lined up because our plans entailed a night of dancing & inebriation at a "block party" (reality: club event) within the House of Blues in downtown--Rey's drapey tabard simply wouldn't hold up well! After attending a family-friendly costume party, I changed into yet another super-last-minute DIY Star Wars costume: Padme, "battle" attire. It's an unbelievably easy outfit so I literally bought everything--aside from my shoes--at a thrift store two days before Halloween.

My boyfriend, Jeffrey, had initially planned to dress up as Zero from The Grand Budapest Hotel & we even found the perfect material for his bell boy jacket! However, just a week before Halloween he opted to dress up as Han Solo since Zero was not as recognizable (+ I may have urged him a bit). Boy, his costume & DIY skills seriously surpassed mine!! You'll see in the photos. Anyhow, our friends' costumes were also really awesome! Nearly everyone had made their own costume and had a hint of nerdy flare, too. It was also the first time in ages where plans made in our grouptext thread actually pulled through. Everyone showed up! Anyway, I honestly didn't take as many photos as I wanted, but alas, we were too exhausted from crafting and all we wanted to do was party with friends. Photos should always be secondary.

On that note:



Jeffrey & I made some matcha green tea sugar cookies & I brought them to the OT clinic where I volunteer at! I didn't take photos of the cookies, but I should have because they were so hilariously ugly. We tried decorating them with Frankenstein's Monster, Ghosts & Pumpkins but we have no skill in that department... On a good note, everyone thought they were delicious.







I bought "Gauze" cotton fabric to emulate the kind of flow-y and wrinkled look of Rey's tabard, but it was only recently that I found the materials/fabric list of the original costume. In the movie, it was actually made of viscose! Doi, Ashley. Oh well, this worked just as well.



He made the holster, belt, gun, pants' detail and shirt all on his own! Legit cosplayer or what!? hahahaha.



Geeks. I mean, Han Solo and Rey... Solo?!






These nerds dressed up as Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z and a Titan from Attach on Titan! (the Titan's girlfriend dressed up as Mikasa! D'aww, so cute, they'll always try to annihilate each other)





Star Wars, Dragonball Z, Mario Kart, historical/fictional characters, Attack on Titan, and even a modern hip hop star, the Weeknd--I'd say we all did pretty well this year!

Anyway, now that it's over, I had all this left over fabric & other materials taking up space... I am thinking of actually finishing up Rey's costume and possibly make the props so that I may wear it to the premiere of The Force Awakens. Hahah! Don't judge me. It's a little embarrassing, but I want to dress up! Of all the years of going to Comic Con and being into fandoms, I have never actually dressed in costume--as in "cosplay." It's not much of my thing, but hey, we'll see how that goes come December 17th! :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts